Imagine having just the meals you want, prepared just the way you like, without having to do any of the shopping, cooking, or clean-up. Now, imagine having all this in the convenience of your own home. Sounds too good to be true? It's not.
Introducing CHEFS for SENIORS, a meal service in South Florida that connects seniors with licensed, professional chefs who prepare high quality, nutritious and affordable meals. Sounds complicated but it's really very simple. A professional chef will come to your home and prepare a customized meal. Each visit takes about 2-3 hours and when the chef leaves you will have 10-12 complete servings of four different items, portioned and labeled for your convenience.
I met with Kelly Sheehan who owns and operates the company in South Broward (Fort Lauderdale and South) and Miami-Dade County. He explained to me how it works.
- A professional chef will come to your home for an initial assessment where he/she will learn about your food preferences, ie: likes and dislikes, allergies, restrictions, etc. (all chefs are thoroughly screened and background checked)
- You can go through their rotating seasonal menus and pick meals that you like and customize them to meet your individual preferences, OR You can choose a more customized menu that may be part of a diet or nutritional suggested by a physician or dietician.
- You choose if you would like to do it weekly or bi-weekly.
- The Chef will do the shopping and bring the food to your home. You can even specify where they shop for the food. They will also bring the cooking tools and equipment for use in your kitchen.
- While there is no contract, they do require that you initially commit to two sessions. This makes sense because it can take a second visit to get it perfect!
Wondering if it's affordable? Their prices are very reasonable. It's the price of the food plus $140.00 for the standard weekly or bi-weekly service in which you receive 5-6 days of nutritious good, even more if you don't share!! If you choose the more customized plan it is $165 plus the costs of the groceries. They also offer a pre-packaged plan where they deliver 2 portions of 5 different light lunch or dinner selections once a week. Regardless of the plan you choose all ingredients are fresh and low sodium. And by the way they also offer cooking classes and catering.
I love this service for many reasons over and beyond the importance of maintaining healthy nutrition habits as we age. For those living alone, it's great company. You can chat, provide your two cents on recipes, and even be the sous chef if you'd like. You can also invite a friend to do it with you and then have company for dinner.
This is a great gift for any occasion. Your loved one will love it. I know I would. Truth is, you don't have to be a "senior" to enjoy this great service.
To learn more about Kelly Sheehan and his services, visit his website.
They provide services throughout the East Coast of Florida as well as locations throughout the country. To see if there's a CHEF for SENIORS near you , click here.