Staying limber is so important.....and so easy! These exercises can be done before, after or even replace a workout if you're short on time.
I. Start with the head and neck
- Do ten slow head circles in each direction(if you become dizzy, stop).
- Next, turn your head from right to left 10 to 15 times.
- Do 15 shrugs (move your shoulders up towards the ears, then lower them).
- Do 15 shoulder circles in each direction. Arms are out at a 45 degree angle. Make small circles, gradually moving to larger cirles.
- Hands at your sides, but away from the body, do 15 circles in each direction.
- Up and downs....flex your wrists so your fingers come towards your forearms. Next, move the fingers toward the back of the arm. Do 15 on each wrist.
IV. Hips and waist
- Hip circles...stand with your feet apart and knees slightly bent. Do 15 hip circles in each direction.
- Side to sides...standing with feet apart, move your hips from left to right 15 times.
- Leg swings...stand next to a counter or chair and steady yourself by holding onto that surface. Swing one leg up towards the front of your body, then back as far as you can comfortably go. Do 15 reps on both legs.
- Ankle circles...you are still standing and holding onto the counter or chair while you make 15 circles in each direction.
- Up and downs...flex the feet so that your toes move toward the shin. Next point your toes toward the floor. Do 15 reps for both ankles.
Try these exercises a few times and let us know how you feel. I think you'll feel more limber!
You may have read about the recent groundbreaking of the new S. Donald Sussman EmpathiCare Village, a... Read more
If you're one of the 40 million+ caregivers in the US, then you may know the toll it can take on you... Read more