Many people complain that they don't have time to exercise. That's usually not the truth, though. It's really because they don't like exercising.
You couldn't pay me to play some sports, baseball being one, but through lots of experimentation, I have found many different ways to exercise that I absolutely love! Aerobics, running, yoga and weight-lifting-- to name a few...
Here are some tips to make exercise something you can't wait to do:
- Make time...find an hour in your day and commit to it. If you have to wake up earler, do it! Maybe your lunch hour works for you...the gym's quite empty at that time. Or right after work before you relax. Once you get into the exercise habit you'll be feeling so good you'll WANT to exercise.
- Make exercise a habit...commit to working out 5 times a week for a month. It takes 21 days to develop a habit, so you should be in a good established routine within a month.
- Experiment..if you don't like lifting weights, try martial arts or yoga. Yes, yoga is a weight-bearing form of exercise.
- Try shorter workouts...if you bore easily, split your routine. You could walk 30 minutes in the morning and do 30 minutes of weights and stretching in the evening.
- Set fitness goals..and try to surpass your past records in the speed you walked or ran, the amount of weight you can lift in a barbell curl, or the length of time you can hold a stretch. Fitness goals make exercising a game.
- Get a partner if you run or workout at home. The socialization will make the time fly by and your partner will make sure you show up!
- Make new friends...If you go to a gym, make friends with the people who are there at the same time you are. And there are always "regulars" in every class. People often prefer one instructor over another and usually stick to his or her class.
Is there anything in particular that's made you love exercising?
Every year I make New Years' Resolutions, and every year I come back to this 2010 article from The Wall... Read more
Imagine having just the meals you want, prepared just the way you like, without having to do any of the... Read more